Saturday, January 8, 2011

Steroids, REALLY?

I realize my theme for this blog is "In All Things Give Thanks" but today I am really struggling with being thankful for STEROIDS!  My doctor and I have this wonderful understanding, he doesn't mention the word predisone and I don't cry!  He calls it the "S" word while he is consulting me and I remind him I will get the emergency pack refilled and keep it on hand BUT it wont be used unless I have to crawl to it on my hands and knees because my joints are so frozen that I have no other choice. 

My dear doctor is very patient with me.  He does however, roll his eyes at me often, like I don't see that... please I've taught 6th grade girls for 14 years.  I can see eyes being rolled at me with my back turned away.  Anyway, this past week as been one of those weeks where the doctor wins, I cry, predisone is prescribed, I cry, inflammation decreases, I can breathe,  the pain subsides, the hunger begins, the food is inhaled, I step on the scale and I CRY!!!!  15 days on predisone= 15 pounds of steroid fat!  It's not pretty!  The face is swollen, my hair is falling out, no clothes fit AT all, I have nothing wear to go back to work and yes I cry!

I went to the bank yesterday morning early and decided I wanted to go to the store and pick me up a fountain drink.  I walked out all by myself with a 64 ounce fountain drink (I've never gotten one that big ever), a large cup of hot chocolate with 3 creamers, and not just one donut three donuts.  I couldn't believe I was climbing myself into my little car with all of this for just me! 

Steroids are evil, I try to be thankful for all of the miraculous things that they have done for me this week but really?  3 donuts, hot chocolate and a 64 ounce fountain drink, really?  I'm done!

I know I would like to breath and be able to walk across the room without passing out due to the lack of having adequate lung function.  But I really really want my cute size 10 pants back!  I want to wear my darling little carpi's with my adorable shoes.

I'm in a quandary?

I am still contemplating what exactly I'm thankful for today.  Any suggestions?  Seriously?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you are having to deal with such "not fun" stuff. Although if it makes you feel any better, I don't even have steroids as an excuse for eating multiple donuts. Hang in there. Love, Aeme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Nobody else has anything to say about this issue! Is it a silent nusiances that nobody wants to admit that they have to deal with. I swear it's more evil than healpful!

    ReplyDelete